Nearly 80 Years of Service
Whew, we’re getting old! In 2017, HSDC will celebrate it’s 80th anniversary of nonprofit service to Seattle and the Western Washington community. Check out some historical pictures below to see how far we’ve come, and get to know HSDC better through some fast facts.
HSDC Fast Facts
- The Greater Seattle Business Association named HSDC Nonprofit of the Year.
- Two of our staff members graduated from HSDC’s own Parent-Infant Program (PIP).
- HSDC’s SignOn Interpreting Services provides free interpreting for funerals and memorial services.
- HSDC provides free speech-language and hearing screenings.
- Our Speech-Language Pathologists have unique specialties such as voice issues and aural rehabilitation.
- More than half of our clients have low incomes.
- In addition to our Seattle headquarters, HSDC has satellite offices in Tacoma and Bellingham. We serve 13 counties across Western Washington!
- Almost 100% of the kids in our Early Learning programs improve their communication, cognitive, and/or social-emotional skills!
- SignOn provides remote interpreting services internationally.
- The audiology department has a daily walk-in hearing aid repair service.
- The Ned Behnke Speech-Language Preschool was the first preschool in the region to use Cued Speech.
- SignOn ensures that people with hearing loss can communicate with police officers and emergency personnel through the Emergency Sign Language Interpreting Program (ESLIP).
- A PIP graduate was in the movie “Mr. Holland’s Opus”!
We want to get to know you, too! Share your own fast facts about yourself with us on our Facebook page.