Below, you’ll find a list of local and national resources related to American sign language, the Deaf community, education for the Deaf and hard of hearing, and speech differences.
If you’re interested in volunteering for HSDC’s Seattle, Tacoma, or Bellingham offices, visit our Volunteer page to learn more.
If you’d like to learn some tips on how to communicate with Deaf and hard of hearing people, visit our Deaf 101 page.
Learning American Sign Language (ASL)
Interested in learning American Sign Language? The most consistent source of intensive ASL classes is colleges, many of which offer nighttime options.
Like most languages, ASL is easy to learn and takes years to master. ASL is not a signed form of English. It is a unique language, with its own grammar and syntax. If you want to improve, meet Deaf and hard of hearing people who sign. Get involved with some of the local organizations listed on this page or volunteer for HSDC!
Some organizations offering ASL classes (as of October 2019):
National and International Organizations
- American Society for Deaf Children (ASDC)
- Association of Medical Professionals with Hearing Losses
- Council de Manos
- Deaf Women United (DWU)
- Discovering Deaf Worlds
- Hands and Voices
- National Association of the Deaf (NAD)
- National Black Deaf Advocates (NBDA)
- National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD)
- World Federation of the Deaf
Higher Education for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
- Gallaudet University | Washington, DC
- National Center on Deafness | California State University, Northridge | Northridge, CA
- National Technical Institute for the Deaf | Rochester Institute of Technology | Rochester, NY
Scholarships and Resources
The Benefits of Bilingual Education
For Deaf and Hard of Hearing Children
- Getting the Word In: Studying Language Acquisition in Deaf Children | Boston University
- Kindergarten Readiness for Deaf Children in American Sign Language (Video) | ASLized
- Sign Language for Parents | National Association of the Deaf
- Why ASL? (Video) | ASLized
- Why Deaf Children Need ASL | American Society for Deaf Children
- Why sign language is vital for all deaf babies, regardless of cochlear implant plans | The Conversation
For All Children
- 6 Potential Brain Benefits of Bilingual Education | NPR
- Advantages of a Bilingual Brain | Michigan State University
- The Benefits of a Bilingual Brain (Video) | TED-Ed
- The Benefits of Being Bilingual (PDF) | Department of Education
- Bilingualism in the Early Years: What the Science Says | LEARNing Landscapes